The residents of the Old Convent Estate decided in 2019 to publish a history of their Grade One listed residence, the former St Margaret’s Convent, to mark 150 years since Sisters from the Society of St Margaret moved into their purpose-built Convent in 1870.
Architectural Historian Kathryn Ferry was commissioned to write the book which we had the great pleasure of producing. Dr Ferry was able to consult the Society’s archives, the RIBA library and other sources to compile a compelling history of the Sisters’ hard work and enterprise over more than 100 years, despite the challenges of the pandemic.
This wonderful, well-illustrated book is a tribute to the resourcefulness and determination of the women who helped to establish the Society of St Margaret in 1854, and whose convent still stands in East Grinstead as a memorial to their faith.
“It became clear that we would be able to publish a first-class book, given the quality of Dr Ferry’s narrative together with the archival and contemporary images she was able to assemble.
We engaged Robin Stannard to design the book and were very pleased with his work. We needed to contract with a printer able to deliver a finished product of the highest quality within the budget available. Our Project Manager, Cindy Scott Clark recommended Page Brothers.
We were impressed with the finish on the sample books given to us for reference and were happy with the quoted price for 500 copies. Working with Page Brothers’ sales, customer service and technical teams was a pleasure throughout. We are delighted with the books, the print quality is every bit as good as we had hoped. Our delight is shared by all the people who have bought copies.”